Treatments & Procedures
The Global Hospitals’ Multi-Organ Transplant Institute searches for new treatments to help patients delay or avoid transplant. The transplant team at the institute works to advance technology to make transplants safer for patients and for living donors. They look for new ways to provide transplantation to patients who cannot be helped by other centers. The certified multi-organ Transplant Institute specializes in the following procedures:
- Liver Transplant Program – Global Hospitals is acknowledged as the world’s most comprehensive centre for liver, pancreas diseases and transplantation. The Liver Transplant program of the Global Hospitals group is one of the largest in India with strong units in Hyderabad, Bangalore, and Chennai. Global Hospitals has pioneered the setting up of a comprehensive Liver transplant program in India and particularly in establishing and sustaining the largest cadaver donor program in the country.
The Liver Transplant program is now available in three centers across South India, in Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore and soon in Mumbai. Prof. Mohamed Rela, an internationally acclaimed pioneering liver transplant surgeon, who has assumed charge as the lead transplant surgeon of Global Liver Transplant Program, heads the Liver Transplant program.
The Global Liver Transplant program is comprehensive and the full range of Liver transplants, including both cadaver and living donor transplants for adults and children.
Types of transplantation available include:
- Whole Liver Cadaver Transplant
- Split Liver Transplant
- Auxiliary Liver Transplant (for Fulminant Liver Failure)
- Living Donor transplant (adult to child, adult to adult right lobe)
- Pediatric Liver Transplant
The Global Hospitals Liver Transplant team is a multi-disciplinary unit of highly skilled and trained personnel from various disciplines. The team include:
- Transplant Surgeons
- Transplant Hepatologist - Adult & Pediatric
- Transplant Anesthesiologist & Critical Care Specialist
- Transplant experienced Lab Specialist
- A team of well trained coordinators and social workers, transplant nurses (theatre, ICU and transplant wards) and technician.
The transplant team at Global Hospitals has a collective experience of more than 1,500 liver transplants both in India & abroad.
- Heart Transplant Program - The Heart Transplant program of the Global Hospitals group is one of the largest in India with strong units in Hyderabad, Mumbai, Bangalore, and Chennai. Heart transplantation is an operation in which a person’s diseased heart is replaced with a healthy heart retrieved from a cadaver donor. Mostly, individuals go through various treatments, therapies, and medications. If none of these gives a desired result, heart transplant is the option. Heart transplant in India has given gift of life to many.
Global Hospitals Heart Transplantation program provides excellent care to patients suffering from:
- Heart valve disease
- End stage heart disease
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart dysfunction
The Hyderabad, India unit of Global Hospitals is the first to perform a Heart Transplant in South India. The surgical team - led by Chief Cardio-Thoracic, & Transplant Surgeon at Hyderabad - has immense experience in the treatment of cardio-vascular disorders.
The cost of a transplant at Global Hospitals is much lower than traditional hospitals in developed countries.
- Bone Marrow/ Stem Cells Transplant Program - Bone Marrow Transplantation (BMT) facilities in India have undergone slow but steady growth. The Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant program of the Global Hospitals group is renowned throughout India with branches in Hyderabad, Bangalore, and Chennai. With about 50% disease-free survival in acute myeloid leukemia and aplastic anaemia and 90% survival in thalassemia major, the results are encouraging.
Global Hospital’s extensive program on Bone marrow transplantation is the key to fight cancer. The hospital has become a trusted name in Bone Marrow Transplantation for international patients. It has a highly qualified Bone Marrow Transplantation team and stringent infection control norms, which are critical for Bone Marrow Transplant patients.
There are two types of Bone Marrow Transplantation done at Global Hospitals:
- Autologous Transplants - Two important requirements for a bone marrow transplant are the donor and the recipient. Sometimes, the donor and the recipient are the same person. This type of transplant is called an autologous transplant.
It is typically done in cases where a person's bone marrow is generally healthy but is destroyed due to medical treatment for diseases such as breast cancer and Hodgkin's disease. Most bone marrow transplants are autologous.
- Allogeneic Transplant - If a person's bone marrow is unsuitable for an autologous transplant, the bone marrow must be derived from another person in an allogeneic transplant.
Allogeneic transplants are more complicated because of proteins called human lymphocyte antigens (HLA) that are on the surface of bone marrow cells. If the donor and the recipient have very dissimilar antigens, the recipient's immune system regards the donor's bone marrow cells as invaders and launches a destructive attack against them. Such an attack negates any benefits offered by the transplant.
- Kidney Transplant Program - Global Hospital’s Renal Transplant program is one of the largest in India with strong units in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai and soon in Mumbai. The transplant program covers both autologous and cadaveric transplants. It is the first hospital in India to perform the combined Kidney & Heart transplantations.
The Centre also performs minimally invasive surgery for renal donors thereby minimizing post-operative recovery time and hospitalization. Some of the key reasons for a high success rate are:
- Stringent infection control practices
- Immunosuppressive protocols and proactive vigil for complications and their prompt management
- Integrates, analyzes, and addresses the health needs of the transplant patient and his or her family
- Over a decade of experience and over 100 Kidney Transplants.
Global Hospitals has pioneered the development of Renal Transplantation in India, both in the Live Related and Cadaveric donor program. The institute has performed simultaneous Heart and Kidney-SHK (making Global Hospital the first of its kind to have performed this transplant in India), a Series of Sequential Liver and Kidney Transplants.
ICU Nephrology is another area of excellence with all modalities of CRRT being performed on a daily basis.
Well-known and eminent Nephrologists, Transplant surgeons head the Institute and are ably supported by Junior & senior consultants.
State-of-the-art procedures at Global Hospitals include:
- Living Donor & Cadaveric Transplantation